Saturday, April 11, 2009

I'm all heart!

Dissecting the pig hearts was stinky! My group and I found the atriums (atria?) and ventricles of the heart. You can remember which is which by making an A a V with your fingers. The atrium is at the top and the ventricle is at the bottom. They go: squeeze, squeeze, coast. In the first picture you can see I was working in a team with some 5th and 6th graders at the school where my Mom works. We also found the valves, and the chordae tendineae, which look like parachutes with cords. The chordae tendineae shut the valves. They're the white things in the second picture.


We also stuck our fingers through the veins and arteries. They are tougher than you think. Before we got to start dissecting, we met a man who has had a heart transplant.
I am blogging this late, sorry! The heart dissection actually happened on Valentine's Day. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment